View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 03:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point, which is that the stupid is built into the directions that Google &c gives. Now if I knew enough about the route to "take the stupid out", I wouldn't need the on-line directions, would I? (As in fact I didn't: I looked them up for amusement.)

Now of course anyone with a decent road map could see that my alternate route is better than the one Google gives, but the point of these navigation things is that they're supposed to make road maps unnecessary.
Google isn't God - it's fallible.

You can manually drag the line to make a new route after searching for your directions, and it will approximate the miles and time as well.

You probably didn't check out the options in the box, either. You can avoid highways, in which case it will take you everywhere possible to a road that is close and not more than 2 lanes.

On top of all that, you got an anomaly, wherein you found a set of directions that isn't optimal, or even ideal for your circumstances. Given the size of Google as an enterprise, and the amount of people who use Google Maps, I doubt they've all seen that same effect. By and Large, Google Maps is a reliable source for route information, and it's updated constantly, to account for instances like your own.