View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 09:44 PM   #320 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Basjoos,

I just completed a full coverage panel that covers the entire underside of the engine compartment for a Honda Insight.

Took the car out for the first time this summer, and was utilizing a 60% engine radiator block, and running on the highway at 55 mph. Was monitoring a ScanGauge very carefully for water temperature over 200F and noticed that the engine seemed to stay in this range most of the time. The highest I saw was 204F and the ambient air temperature was about 80F today in Wisconsin.

The Insight fan is supposed to kick on at 205F and I could not tell if this happened or not today, but the temperature was very close to that point.

I also noticed that the under hood temperature must have been very high on the Insight, as the hot air intake is purposely half connected and still the air intake temperature was as high as 135F or so. Upon getting home, I disconnected it completely for now. When the cooler weather arrives, I can reconnect it again. My first catalytic converter is right behind the Insight engine and it seemed very steamy in there after the drive.

For now I have completely removed the radiator block to allow more air flow into the engine area.

I saw your car at the Hybrid Fest in Madison, WI, and talked with you about your design. I noticed that your radiator opening (actually two small inlets) is about 1/3 the size of the Insight radiator in total.

What temperature does your Honda usually run at on the highway. Do you happen to know what temperature your fan kicks on?

Jim.