View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 02:52 AM   #44 (permalink)
Jammer
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Question Cobalts & TUrnning Off Engines While Coasting (CAREFUL!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lusth View Post
Based upon Freakazoid 's (I don't speak 1337 too well) post about EOC, I tried it again. This, time after turning the car off, I put the key back to ACC. The reason I didn't do it the first time was I never planned to bump start; the end of my trial coast was a stop sign. With the car off (key not in ACC), there is no power steering. With the car off (key in ACC), power steering is back. This makes sense since power steering in the G5/Cobalt is electronic, not hydraulic, at least for the 2009 model.
Well, today I tested mine and got negative results. When I turn off my motor and then put the key back to ACC or RUN I had no power steering nor power brakes!! I kept trying variations with the key, and I went back and read stuff on this site and others on how to do it- But my car losses power steering AND power brakes. If people are not very careful somebody is going to run with this advise and coast right down a mountain and go straight over a cliff!! I feel it's just plain bad advise and should never be advise to tell others to do. It's too dangerous for many types of cars. I tried everything I read about my 2009 XFE there is no way of turning of the engine to cruise without jeopardizing lives. My Cobalt idles at about 900RPM- I still save a bundle coasting with the engine in idle. I'm not risking my neck for a gallon of gas, heck I'm lucky I survived my accident of last July, I sure do not wish to tempt fate.