View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 06:31 AM   #52 (permalink)
lunarhighway
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
after some experimentation installing something as described above on my top grill proved difficult so i abandoned the idea for a while, however yesterday while playing around with some plastic dams i'd made for a different project i found they fitted rather nice in front of the lower air intake

the lower grill opening is much smaller than the visual "grill". In fact i think the whole thing is more designed like a splitter than a grill (a horisontal surface that provides a little downforce at the front)

the actual opening is about the width of the licence plate recess and is only above the body colored bar... pretty small to begin with and every time i tried something remotely close to a full grillblock 1 or 2 days later i got into a situation where the car got much hotter than i liked.

this block doesn't alter the surface area of the grill but it does alter the orientation of the hole... so is slow moving traffic where the overheating might become a problem (fan asisted)airflow should be the same, however i hope that the plated deflect some air over the grill and under the car.

accuarte fe testing is always the weak spot of my mods so i have to rely on the but o meter and coastdown test to see if there's any difference, but thus far i'm not picking up bad vides... tempertaturs where low this morning, but the engine temp stayed surprising low as well so cooling should be fine

*i can coast for miles and miles and miles*