View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 10:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Doesn't anyone check over their shoulder anymore?

Hell, I don't even use the mirrors on Cara most of the time, because I'm not entirely concerned with what's behind me unless I'm slowing down, and I'm not entirely concerned with what's beside me unless I'm changing lanes... And even then, I check over my shoulder unless physically unable, like in box trucks and large vehicles which aren't equipped for passenger travel.

My OE mirrors are set so that there is no overlap and no blind spot, as well.

Method for setting mirrors:

Get into driving position
Lean your head to the left as far as you can while keeping your head in the straight up and down position, so that an imaginary line down the bridge of your nose would remain vertical.
Adjust left mirror so that the sheet metal of the vehicle is just visible, then move the mirror until the vehicle is just out of sight in this head position.

Lean head to the right, using the same method, adjust right mirror (have someone else adjust it if it's a manual mirror and you can't adjust it from your driving position).

Adjust rearview mirror so that you can see equal parts of the rear interior on all sides of the mirror.

If you use this method correctly, you should have no (or minimal) blind spots, and you won't need to move your head to use your mirrors properly. You just don't need to look at the corner of your car while you're driving, although many people apparently assume that their ass-end is going somewhere the front hasn't already been.