View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
bwilson4web
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
. . .
My OE mirrors are set so that there is no overlap and no blind spot, as well.

Method for setting mirrors:
. . .
What I find with this method is the nose of most cars just show up as the rear disappears. The body of standard cars on either side are not simultaneously visible and motorcyclists still disappear. The visual clue is the doors of the overtaking or being overtaken car disappear.

The convex mirrors provide 'the whole car' and work great with motorcyclists and Smart cars. This morning on the way into work, there was a Mini Cooper that was completely masked by the "Method for setting mirrors" but it was clearly visible in the convex mirror. I'll post photos from my cell phone this evening. One other aspect is the convex mirrors also show parts of my car, the door posts, which gives context or sense of exact location that the "Method for setting mirrors" does not provide. Those mirrors just point out into space with no reference relative to your own vehicle. Regardless, this story led to this most recent effort:

I Crashed into a Scary Biker Dude | momlogic.com
Quote:
. . . Thump. That was the only sound I heard. What followed was a horrific vision -- the body of a man tumbling on the pavement in front of my car, his motorcycle not far behind him. I screamed and slammed on the brakes. As I jumped out of the car to run to him, I ordered my 11-year-old to call 911.

It's every driver's worst nightmare -- a motorcyclist in our blind spot. That day had been a busy mom day of errands successfully accomplished despite the bickering kids in the car. I was driving my new Prius. Having just made the big lifestyle change from a succession of enormous SUV's, my blood curdles at the thought of how that day would have gone had I hit that man with an SUV. But the Prius, and its blind spot, was new to me, and as I moved into a left turn lane in a busy commercial area in Los Angeles, there it was. That sudden, terrifying thump.

When I reached the man, he had gotten to his hands and knees. He looked up at me and quietly said, "You didn't see me?" Clearly I hadn't -- and I felt like a fool, although I was thankful he was talking. Then my eyes began to take in more details of my victim as his hulking frame rose up from the pavement. The dude had to be 6'4", about 250 pounds, with tattoos covering every inch of visible arms. His ears, lips, and nose were dotted with gleaming piercings. His helmet had spikes shooting out from the crown, and the piece de resistance, a sticker on his bike that read, "I'm a Devil's Diciple [sic]. Don't f*** with me."
. . .
A former motorcycle and bicycle commuter, I knew I was invisible. The convex mirrors have shown my 'lying eyes' why that is the case.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 09-23-2009 at 11:13 AM..