View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
damo
EcoModding Lurker

Alfie - '03 Alfa Romeo 156 Veloce
90 day: 34 mpg (US)

Smarty - '05 Smart Roadster Coupe 80
90 day: 44.05 mpg (US)

Alfena - '05 Alfa Romeo 147 JTD 8v Turismo
90 day: 40.62 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andylaurence View Post
I've bought a rear-view camera, which I'm going to fit to remove the need for the wing mirrors. You can't realistically fit mirrors inside the car, simply because the shape of the car would prevent you seeing anything with them!
What are you going to do to cover your mirrors? Be good to get broken mirrors from somewhere, then you could use the base plates.

Quote:
Have you tried removing them? It's on my todo list, once I work out how they're attached. You can hear the wind noise they make, so it must be pretty bad!
I haven't tried to remove them, I'm too scared! But it's bound to be worth removing them during winter when the roof won't be open anyway.

Quote:
I don't quite understand that. Do you have photos?
I used P profile weather strip you get from B&Q and stuck it along the leading edge of the door. It's about 5mm wide, so almost covers the gap round the door.

Quote:
Cunning! I've noticed that temperatures are never high on the Roadster, even at 35 degrees or more. In fact, it's only heat soak that makes the temperature go up when you stop. I've seen 100 degrees on the gauge!
Yes, it's doable in winter time. Maybe want to move it again in midsummer

Quote:
Do you not find the steering a little heavy?
Yes, but it lightens up fine > 10mph.

Quote:
I've been looking at the wheels from a ForTwo. They're the same diameter as mine (15") but not so wide. They fit 145 section tyres, so there's gains to be had there. The front arches can then be correspondingly smaller.
The sportline alloys look an excellent candidate. However, they would require 20 - 30 mm spacers at the rear.

Quote:
I've also been thinking about a rear diffuser. That should minimise the wake of the car. In addition, adding creases to the trailing edges of bodywork should help separation. The round shape of all the panels can't be helping at the moment.
This may work but there's not much space for a diffuser behind the exhaust back box.

Quote:
Certainly. Although, take the top speed with a pinch of salt. Last month, I did 197kph (according to GPS) on a German autobahn in my notchback.
Wow, that's an impressive top speed. Not many 80bhp cars can to that (if any?). Overall the cdA can't be too bad!