View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
andylaurence
EcoModding Lurker

Roadster - '04 Smart Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
What are you going to do to cover your mirrors? Be good to get broken mirrors from somewhere, then you could use the base plates.
I've not exactly worked that out yet!

Quote:
I haven't tried to remove them, I'm too scared! But it's bound to be worth removing them during winter when the roof won't be open anyway.
Ditto!

Quote:
I used P profile weather strip you get from B&Q and stuck it along the leading edge of the door. It's about 5mm wide, so almost covers the gap round the door.
I think I see what you mean now. Good solution.

Quote:
The sportline alloys look an excellent candidate. However, they would require 20 - 30 mm spacers at the rear.
You can buy them for just over £100 new from WellSmart. I've been pondering what tyres to go for. 135/80 is about 2% bigger rolling circumference, so I'll drop ~100rpm on the motorway. I can only find budget tyres but they're cheap at £27.10! 155/80 gives a 10% larger rolling circumference and about ~300rpm drop on the motorway. I can get branded tyres for £38.50. I think they'll be a good compromise, although I don't know how stiff the sidewalls are and what effect that'll have on the handling. I moved from the standard Bridgestones to Michelin Energy E3A, which meant a lower sidewall stiffness and slightly more nervous handling.

Quote:
This may work but there's not much space for a diffuser behind the exhaust back box.
They're available in Germany but they're not cheap. They're more for styling than effectiveness though.

Quote:
Wow, that's an impressive top speed. Not many 80bhp cars can to that (if any?). Overall the cdA can't be too bad!
I don't think that was VMax power-wise. It was very noisy, so I couldn't be certain but I'm pretty sure it was bouncing off the rev-limiter, rather than running out of power. It certainly got there quite easily and wouldn't go faster, even downhill (I tried once on the flat and once on a downhill section).