View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 11:22 AM   #23 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Mech - I don't think the Fan could produce a fast enough response, honestly, to replace the throttle blade. A fan's blades would be the most restrictive when spinning fast, I think... slowing them down would make them least restrictive, until they're finally stopped, which would be the quintessential "full throttle" of the system. The issue with that scenario would be getting the fan blades moving again... I think you'd want the system to default to throttle closed, wouldn't you?

TomO - You could run the MAP on a reference line that takes a reading from a pre-charged section of the intake system, but you'd have to put the charger behind the throttle body. It wouldn't be altogether difficult to do, though, since you can remove the TB and add a flanged pipe w/ the aerator in between the flanges, then relocate the MAP to just before the aerator, where it would still create a "false" vacuum.

While you may be correct for the figures from a VX engine, and even other engines, the fact still remains that the additional airflow causes more electrical load (10A at 12VDC is 120 Watts) and the whole setup was originally designed (and is still being touted) for more power, not the ability to cruise lean.