View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #59 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarhighway View Post
i know,but i thought this belonged here rather then build another thread on the same subject. also this is the first practical application i make wich attemps this effect.
in your oppinion, is what i've show above completely useless or could this block some airflow trough the grill at speed?

for reference, here's a picture with my actual open grill area highlighted:
lunarhighway,sorry!,I lost track of where we had all been with grille tech and previous posts.--------------- Looking at your photo,it's likely that what you show will cause a restriction.Coolant temp may be the only variable we could monitor,short of access to
a windtunnel.It looks as though Opel has already minimized the grille opening.If the entry is not air-tight and is allowing air to bleed around the radiator,then with an air-tight arrangement,according to Korff,you could get away with an opening 1/6 the height of the radiator,if it is the full width of the radiator and the duct as deep as one radiator height..That would be your absolute minimum for a fixed opening.Compare that to where you're beginning from and proceed to choke it off with the stalling vanes.I would mimic Ford's design as it represents good science.--------- I don't know if it is possible to tuft the vanes and photo-capture their behavior with a close-range video camera and flood-lighting during multi-velocity operation but you would almost need to do something like that to "witness" what is happening.Without a wind tunnel we've got to be creative.