View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
itsmedc
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Sepp reports from Europe that an open tail loses some mpg vs a "closed" unit with a back.
I read about both versions of Sepp's aeroshell but missed his info on open tail vs closed... Will have to a bit more digging around.

Quote:
10-degrees for your downslope and say 7-degrees at the sides,and 2 1/2-4-degrees coming up from below
Thanks for confirming my thoughts on angles; and the info on calculating the potential improvement.

Quote:
I have a 1962 D-100. I swapped a 4-spd OD and 3.50 rear axle out of a 1977 Dodge and pushed mpg from 11, up to around 18.6 mpg at 70-mph. A 6-inch nose extension with fractional airtight radiator inlet, plex headlight/turn signal covers; partial front wheel well gap-fillers, hubcaps, and aeroshell allows 21.5 mpg
The one photo I have seen of the 1962 D-100 is what gave me the path for some of the mods I am planning;
Would love to see more detailed photos of the nose on it.

As for a tranny swap and gearing... I am running the original 3-speed auto (727 TorqFlite) and original 3.23 gears; with a reworked V-8 (318 2-barrel) and a bit of electrical and ignition curve work have managed to get from 11 mpg to 14 mpg at 50-55mph while pulling the pop up camper. Best tankful without the camper at 50-55mph was 16 mpg and is typically around 11-12 mpg for mixed driving. For a transmission upgrade, when the money falls off a tree or the original trans dies, I would love to put in a later version auto with overdrive and also gain a lockup torque converter but will more likely end up overhauling a non-lockup 904 TF I already have and swaping it in. The 904 uses a bit less power and should hold up fine under my driving.
I am familiar with the 4-speed manual with overdrive from a Plymouth Duster that had one behind a 225 slant 6 and with 2.93 gears would knock down 27 mpg at 55-65 mph traveling around the Texas / Oklahoma area when I was stationed out by Abilene.