View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
solarguy
EcoModding Apprentice

I drove a subaru legacy AWD wagon for 4 years. I put Blizak snows on every winter. I could drive with impunity until I was pushing substantial snow with the air dam and bumper.

But, I grew up in Iowa driving old crap rear wheel drive stuff with bad all season tires, so the subi was like magic. I rarely broke 26 mpg with it.

On the really bad days, I'd drive the 4wd one ton ford truck, lift kit, with the hubs locked. It got 7 mpg, so I didn't drive it much. In my experience, a driver with good skills in a front drive with blizak snow tires will get in less trouble than an inexperienced driver with 4wd, who thinks they're bullet proof.

My current ride in an 04 jetta, also with blizzak snows in the winter. It does very well in the snow if you respect the limitations. And it routinely gets somewhere in the high 40's mpgs.

You're much more likely to find a cheap beater front drive econobox that would do 99% of anything you'd ever need, AND with good FE. For that other one percent, buy a winch or stay home that day and drink hot chocolate.

HTH,

troy

want to build 150 mpg diesel streamliner.