View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 02:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeodywhy View Post
No its not that and i've tested the voltages and resistances of almost all the sensors. I have a volt meter to measure lean burn and it does the repeated retarding of the ignition timing whether in lean burn or not. I have put the timing light on it and it periodically retards at idle too. What about the idle fluctuating with electrical load.
Idle is controlled by the IACV - it's the thing that has coolant running to it on the back of the intake manifold.

When there is load on the engine, it's supposed to open up some to allow more air in to account for the extra load at 0 throttle. If the wiring was soldered together, trace the wires back to the solder joints and re-wet them, they may have been contaminated at some point. If that doesn't clear it up, remove the IACV and soak it in a pail of ethylene glycol antifreeze, which will help remove carbon build up without damaging the sensor. Once you've soaked it for about a day, rinse it with clean water and then spray the hell out of it with WD 40 or something similar, plug the wire clip back in without installing it, and turn the key on, off, on, off, on, off and watch the plunger in it. It should cycle through full on and full off each time you cycle the key.