View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
rrhatbruce
EcoModding Lurker

Stinky Pete - '97 Toyota Tacoma Ext. Cab 4WD
90 day: 21.33 mpg (US)
Ok, Old Mech. I'm with you on WWI rotary engines having the cylinders spinning in a circle, and via the crank throw, having the pistons rotating in another, offset circle. I've always liked that arrangement since the piston/conrod inertia isn't being continually started, stopped, then reversed. Do I understand correctly that part of your proposal is to reverse the orientation of the pistons and cylinders? You would be putting the pistons on the 'outer' circle and the cylinders on the 'inner' You would also be centrally locating the intake/exhaust plumbing allowing only one injector, one glow plug, etc. Right? I'm just trying to get a mental picture of where you're headed.

I'm also a fan of hydraulic hybrids since I read about the UPS delivery truck a year or so back. My (admittedly incomplete) understanding of the hydraulic hybrid concept is that the hardware, having been used in construction for years, is much more developed than the current electric hardware (Please do NOT take this as a slam on electric hybrids)