View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #41 (permalink)
RobertSmalls
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
As I said earlier, I've read Mr. Collins' complaint on other web sites, and a quick Googling reveals it's been discussed at length, many times, at InsightCentral. The following is Honda's reply to Mr. Collins' complaint:

Basically, Honda feels the trifield meter in question is inappropriate for the high-frequency EMF of the Insight. Using more sophisticated test equipment, they measured the EM levels to be "within the same ranges as standard passenger vehicles equipped with high-energy ignition systems", which certainly explains why Mr. Collins came up with similar readings in an Odyssey.

Honda's response, plus the same readings in the Odyssey, plus the lack of any complaints not originating from Brian Collins, plus the complete enclosure of all IMA components in Faraday cages, have set my mind at rest on the issue of whether the Insight is any less safe (electrically) than any randomly chosen car on the road.

Blueflame, if you don't even use a microwave oven, I'd strongly encourage you to take action on your concerns. Determine exactly what types of EM radiation at what frequencies you are willing to be exposed to and for how long, purchase equipment capable of measuring it and rated for use in human safety applications, and take action to bring said radiation down to acceptable levels. If this means you buy 2m long spark plug wires and relocate the ignition coils as far away as you can, so be it. Who knows, maybe you'll find that lining your bedroom with this will reduce your risk of cancer, or that your microwave oven is actually acceptable.

I find the subject of RF mitigation interesting in its own right, and I do not intend to mock people who hold views at either extreme.

The Following User Says Thank You to RobertSmalls For This Useful Post:
blueflame (09-27-2009)