View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 08:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec-e View Post
I did the test drive and it didn't go as well as i had hoped:
Oh, man! I just lost the money I'd put on your winning (Just kidding ) I think you did pretty good with such a heavy car.
Is the car's computer the only measure of FE? If so, then I wouldn't even call it a "Contest", but more like "Let's see what random numbers you get this time". I know from other Peugeot owners that the comp can be off by as much as 2 l/100km (!), usually it's closer to 0.5 l/100km. And it's not constant for each car: I once did a 5.0 l/100km tank but the comp showed 4.5, a few months later I did a 4.7 tank and the comp showed 4.8. One of reasons I want a SGII is the hope that it will be more accurate.

In most eco-races the car's tank is filled to the top before and after each run, and a GPS in the car measures the distance (we all know that odometers are usually off by up to 5%). I've read about one eco-race in which the car and driver are weighed before and after the race, and the difference is translated into fuel. If your car wasn't filled up before and after, then every next contestant gets to drive a lighter car.

What did the test course look like? Was it a closed circuit, or city/rural driving? What was the weather? Did you have your coffee in the morning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec-e View Post
I'll get another two chances to drive it and can have it overnight some weekend too so i'll hopefully do better then.
That's good. Getting used to the car is important. Plus you can fiddle with the tire pressure. I'd slap on a grille block, b/c the grilles in the newest Pugs are grossly oversized and just plain U-G-L-Y!! I bet that would be the most help, without doing anything more radical. Have you signed up for the next try?

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread