View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 02:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
tranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmedc View Post
I read about both versions of Sepp's aeroshell but missed his info on open tail vs closed... Will have to a bit more digging around.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on angles; and the info on calculating the potential improvement.

The one photo I have seen of the 1962 D-100 is what gave me the path for some of the mods I am planning;
Would love to see more detailed photos of the nose on it.

As for a tranny swap and gearing... I am running the original 3-speed auto (727 TorqFlite) and original 3.23 gears; with a reworked V-8 (318 2-barrel) and a bit of electrical and ignition curve work have managed to get from 11 mpg to 14 mpg at 50-55mph while pulling the pop up camper. Best tankful without the camper at 50-55mph was 16 mpg and is typically around 11-12 mpg for mixed driving. For a transmission upgrade, when the money falls off a tree or the original trans dies, I would love to put in a later version auto with overdrive and also gain a lockup torque converter but will more likely end up overhauling a non-lockup 904 TF I already have and swaping it in. The 904 uses a bit less power and should hold up fine under my driving.
I am familiar with the 4-speed manual with overdrive from a Plymouth Duster that had one behind a 225 slant 6 and with 2.93 gears would knock down 27 mpg at 55-65 mph traveling around the Texas / Oklahoma area when I was stationed out by Abilene.
This is a shot in the dark,but B&M Hydro used to offer an aftermarket full lockup torque converter.I've no idea if they still do.You might check HOT ROD Magazine or GOOGLE B&M.---------- Your 318 is a sweet engine and I've known van owners who routinely saw 22-mpg at the old double-nickel speed( with more frontal area).I think you could easily push into the 20s range.--------- I have some shots of the Dodge's nose although nothing digital.If you don't mind waiting I'll try and dig 'em out and scan.I originally mocked-up a front end for the truck with cardboard and masking tape and drove test runs at 50 mph ( that's all it would do with 3-speed and 4:56 gears)between Lubbock and Hereford,TX in college,and it held together long enough for the testing.If you were to mimic any of the modern truck noses,I'm sure you'd be rewarded.