View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 03:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Old Mechanic -

Quote:
1. How do you make lightweight, inexpensive vehicle that can incorporate all of the hypermilers strategies into the vehicle system itself, thus relieving the operator of the labor intensive efforts necessary to extract maximum efficiency for the fuel consumed?

Answer;

Lets assume my conclusions are basically correct. It's a win-win situation.

The manufacturer can now produce a vehicle that is 20% less expensive to manufacture. US auto manufacturers can now make money on small inexpensive cars, and even more money when the inevitable options are added to the vehicle.

The customer has no additional up front cost to factor into his cost analysis basis with a break even point some time years in the future.

Drive train component elimination in conventional vehicles also has the additional benefit of the "if it ain't there it can't break" scenario. No brakes to wear out. No transmission to fall apart. No clutch, differential, axle shafts, throttle control induction systems. With most of the eliminated parts being the ones that usually are needing service and repair. sometimes very expensive repairs, the cost to operate factor becomes a net positive benefit.
I think the auto companies will love making small cars cheaper but hate the reduced maintenance costs. I read recently that dealerships don't make money on the cars they sell, they make money on the servicing of those cars.

But, a cheaper to build car scales very well to the profit margin on larger cars.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society