View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #1219 (permalink)
vpoppv
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
I just installed the "Cougar 2" Open Source controller.

It was a little more complicated than the just swapping out the Curtis controller. That controller could take power from pack voltage. The open source controller requires wires to +12V & -12V, and a switch.

I installed a sub-fuse panel salvaged from an RV so I would have a new, dedicated 12V circuit, and than ran that to an illuminated switch inside the car.

That then turns the power on and off to the controller.

The car drives pretty well on the new controller. Acceleration is really smooth. It is GREATLY improved over the very first version of the controller. I had the throttle response on the Curtis controller cranked up. I had to be light on it to pull away from stops, but I could actually burn rubber with it too!

The Cougar isn't set to "burn rubber" mode, but you could stomp on the gas and get smooth, swift acceleration.

I think I would like to cram in two more batteries, for a 96V system. All of my other components can handle up to 108V nominal, and any more batteries would start to take up my cargo space!
What are you doing for precharge? Is it/has it been the same with all the different controllers? And also, way back when you said you paid $12/battery, is that just because you didn't have battery cores to give them, and the $12 was the core charge? Also, are the Ranger springs working well?