View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
In my car it isn't very smart, although it will shut off after running a specific period on float. The miles chinese chargers are prone to failure so make sure they test the thing.

Also the batteries listed in my manual are $250 each but that shouldn't matter they should be under warranty, let them look it over, let em baulk but if they died in short order there was something wrong out the door.

If you get different batteries the miles charger brings them up to about 15v (on a 12v battery) Which some batteries don't like.

Also those big 150ahr batteries have a LOT of capacity, smaller 8v batteries will likely provide less range than properly working Miles AGM "150ahr" batteries, reason is 150ahr seems to be under load and not a 20hr rate.

Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by stou0220 View Post
Is the charger in this car a 'smart charger'? I don't think I overcharged, nor did I know it was possible with the the charger it comes with! I thought this came with a 2 or 3 phase charger that wouldn't overcharge. I read the manual that came with the car, and I don't remember any over charge warnings, not that it isn't a risk. Anyway, I am trying to get Miles to replace the batteries, as they prepped the car and certified it road ready. However, they don't seem as eager to send me the batteries as they were to take my money when I bought the car. I hope I can get this resolve quickly, but I am not optimistic at this point.

If I can't get Miles to replace these, I thought about replacing all of the batteries with 9 8-volt, 165 AH golf cart batteries. These are wet batteries, not AGM or gel. I don't need much range, 20 miles or so, but I don't know how these batteries would affect performance, which I am concerned about. Do you have any experience with batteries that aren't $350 each? I am sick of spending money on a car I haven't been able to drive yet!