View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 09:03 PM   #496 (permalink)
hilaryjohn
hilaryjohn

I'm doing a '72 VW Ghia with Ford Th!nk guts. 72V, about 6 HP continuous. Tough in a way as it needs not only the controller but the cluster gauge as they "talk" to one another. And, the motor is SEPEX controlled (not series wound). Lastly you're stuck using their original contactor as the gauge switches on/off the contactor, but at a very low amperage which can't be easily duplicated using, say, an Albright contactor. Also the throttle is a special one-off that is hard to duplicate....but the motor is good for about 35 MPH continuous, if you live in a cool place and don't go more than a few miles...I have a Shumacher 72V charger/Northern Tool. Same plate/motor mount setup as yours, more or less....requires a 400 amp fuse inline with the 6 min batts. (1 12V separately runs all auxilliary things including a 400 watt heater-defroster). About to test! The Th!nk Neighbor is speed limited to 25MPH but the controller can be reprogrammed to do 35 continuous for about $170. HOWEVER I spent about $2.5K on this project!! I'd go your route if I had it to do over again.......