View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 08:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
Eddles
EcoModding Apprentice

Eddles's Astra - '01 Vauxhall Astra ECO4
90 day: 61.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99LeCouch View Post
And when they mandate new cars come with the tracking device thingy, well, more impetus to keep my old beater going. It's easy enough to rip out the dash and roll back the manual odometer.
The tracking device won't use the odometer anyway - as it has to differentiate between different roads. Well that's the plan for the UK anyway, i.e. motorways cost more than local roads - but that's a bit silly IMO as people'll just use local roads instead of motorways, and use up more fuel and increasing emissions in the process.

In fact, modern odometers are a lot easier to wind back - simply find a dodgy guy with a laptop and cable and he'll change the figures for you for $20 and only takes a minute. There are legal companies who will do this for £80-£100 ($160-$200). Or get yourself the kit like this one here.

Or even go to the scrapyard, and find a dashboard with a lower mileage on and swap it out - it takes me literally 2 mins to remove the instrument panel from my car - there's only 6 hex screws and one lever.

My aim: to achieve 3L/100km.
Best tank @ 65mph: 864.2 miles 69.36MPGus 3.4l/100km