View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 01:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
Jammer
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Old Mechanic -

I agree. I like to claim that the Honda Fit, Nissan Versa, Toyota Yaris, Smart, Honda Insight II, and Cobalt XFE are in the USA *because* of higher gas prices.

(and drivers were monster mean today)

CarloSW2
I have to agree. However it gets more complex when one really breaks down the full impact of high fuel costs on us.

Am I the only person that noticed our American/World Recession all started after a few weeks of over $4.00 (USD) gas prices? It is my family's belief that high fuel prices is exactly what got our economy in such a mess! I know the media never says that, but I happen to feel very strongly about the high cost of fuel sending the economies of the world into a tail spin. I never bought the housing market started it- except for the fact that many people were using their credit cards to fill up their cars/trucks just to afford to drive to work and back, and when they tried paying off their credit cards they could no longer afford their HOUSE!

I agree higher fuel prices lead to more fuel efficient cars and trucks, but if that price gets too high it starts to throw people out of jobs, which is exactly what I believe we seen sparked back in fall of 2008.

I also believe that China has captured so many of our previous middle income paying jobs that something had to burst. But I still feel the catalyst was the high oil prices of late 2008. I really do not wish to see fuel go up to the levels it was in 2008. Maybe somewhere between today's price and what it was in 2008 would work out better.