View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Jammer
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Now Now.. Lets put this in the proper perspective. Many people that choose to drive so called gas guzzlers bought these cars/trucks way back when gasoline was 95 cents a gallon.

I live in a location where many people drive around 100 miles to and back from work, and they are not stupid. They also often drive 4x4 trucks. What happen was when they first located in the country and got a job in the city the gasoline was inexpensive enough that their living was fine. Also the jobs USED TO PAY MORE. But when gasoline slowly went up from 95 cents to over $4.00 and they could find NO other jobs to replace their paychecks and health care, THEN the economy faulted. I do not blame these people for not being able to see the future. Back in the 1990's gasoline was under $1.00 a gallon for 87 octane and the economy was booming. One could not even eat a Big Mac without finding a tiny application for "Help Wanted" underneath their food on their tray. High fuel has changed all of that (imho). I feel we are still feeling the shocks from 2008. I also fault the habit most Americans have of buying the cheapest goods made in China no matter what has impacted our economy very badly. This kind of stuff costs this country millions of good paying jobs, but nobody wishes to discuss that.

If many people don't find a way of driving far less or getting much better mileage (or alternative transportation) then I fear this entire cycle is bound to replay it's self again. It's fine to worry about the environment, but lets not throw away our economy while we are at it.