View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 02:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
OK Let's try putting it in the proper perspective again:

That the U.S. and the world are depleting a finite resource has been no secret for at least 35 years.

People and Americans in particular have had ample opportunities to be proactive. They chose instant gratification instead.

Anyone that built their life around cheap energy was stoopid, period. And by built their life I mean 100 mile commutes, in V8 4x4s, back and forth to McMansions they couldn't afford- and afford to heat and cool- in the first place.

Yup, gas was 95 cents when I got my start too. I didn't buy the most expensive house I qualified for. I made being within bicycling distance to work one of my house-shopping criteria and then I followed through by bike commuting most of the time for 13 years. I added insulation and a new high-efficiency furnace with programmable t-stat to my house before heating costs spiked. Gee, all that and no government financial assistance besides- how did I ever think of it??? It's called awareness.

You know when you're driving at night and you come to a rise and you can plainly see there is a vehicle coming towards you on the other side of that rise and you have lots and lots of time to dim your headlights before they crest the hill? Have you ever noticed that 90% of those dumb em effers evidently aren't situationally aware enough to dim before they crest- they hafta get blasted with headlights before it occurs to them to dim their lights? And even then that often isn't enough, you have to flash them. AWARENESS. SELFISHNESS. STOOPIDITY.

Last edited by Frank Lee; 09-28-2009 at 03:00 PM..