View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 04:03 PM   #26 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Jammer -

I categorically want to buy American, but there are almost no choices left. That's *the* original reason I got a Saturn in 1997 and have been a "Saturn Booster" ad nauseum. I don't argue that the car is "class leading" by any account. I only argue that it is "good enough" and cheap to own.

If Americans were trading in their trucks 10 years ago for American made compacts, the profits would have been smaller, but recently bankrupt Chrysler and GM would have been forced to change of their own accord, and likely would have been in a better position to weather the storm.

Frank -

I would have been happy to live within 5 miles of my work, but that would have added hundreds of thousands of dollars to the cost of our house. Today our mortgage is almost 50% of our net income. The extra cost would have made it 70% of our net income.

Ironically, if I lived within 5 miles, I wouldn't even be here because I wouldn't be the problem. It's because I know I'm the "bad guy" that I joined up to at least mitigate the damage I am causing.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society