View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 10:56 PM   #22 (permalink)
drbobwoolery
EcoModding Lurker

49state 4door - '91 Geo Metro 4 door
90 day: 59.31 mpg (US)

old blue - '91 Geo Metro base CA
I am running into the same lockup issue described above. I put another diode from the cathode of the one that supplies +12V to a 9 v battery. This way, the regulator sees the higher of the two, and the 9 volt alkaline battery only supplies current occasionally and for short periods.

First try, I ran it in BIG INST mode driving to a friend's place. Upon restarting, the unit was stuck in BIG INST OOO, even when driving, and did not respond to the buttons. Fully interrupting power by disconnecting both supplies for 30 sec or so reinstated function. I believe the power is bone reliable, at least as far as dipping too low for the regulator.

I have v0.82, so maybe there is a bug in the code that shuts down after a timeout. Locking up has happened when just driving, or perhaps getting the display back to inst mpg when it has reset itself.

The car is my 49state 4door 1991 Metro. All connections are made about an inch from the connector on each of the 4 wires at the ECM. These are led out and spliced to a connector from an old power supply. After I messed up the first crimp, I just went to the junk box for a power supply. the 9 volt battery sits behind MPGuinio in front of the fuel indicator.

Do we perhaps need shielding?