View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 03:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Chalupa102
Cycling more to drive les

White 'rolla - '05 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 44.39 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Chalupa102
Personal experience w/ CAI and f/e

I know this has been talked about quite a few times. Some people believe that with a cold air intake you will get better MPG and some believe you will get worse. This is my personal expence with one on an '05 Toyota Corolla a/t with an electronic controlled throttle body.

When i was modding for performance (acceleration), i originally bought an AEM short ram intake for my car. Unfortuantely at the time i had the short ram, i never recorded my f/e, so i don't know if it actually helped or not, but i doubt it. I used it for a while, then switched to an Injen cold air intake (CAI). I always thought i was getting better f/e with either of the intakes, but i couldn't know for sure because i started recording tank MPG after i had gotten the CAI. In April '09 i also started driving for f/e after i started recording my fill ups.

In Aug '09, i decided to experiment with my car and installed the stock oem air box in place of the CAI. With the same driving style since April, i was getting at least 1-2 MPG more per tank with the stock air box installed, with a normal paper filter. I've since sold the Injen intake.

My conclusion is that my car gets better fuel economy with the factory installed air box than it does with a cold air intake.