View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 02:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
PrintError
Eco Racer

Mimi - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 24.46 mpg (US)

Bimmer - '93 BMW 318is

Red - '96 Toyota Tacoma SX
Send a message via ICQ to PrintError Send a message via AIM to PrintError Send a message via Yahoo to PrintError
Why I Haven't Posted - And how I'm getting ∞ MPG!!!

Figure I might as well answer that "We miss you" email I get constantly from EcoModder.

Well, on May 22nd 2008, I had been on and off riding my bike to work (about 75% on) and decided to buy a new bike.

My wife briefly scoffed at spending a thousand bucks on a bicycle, but I promised her I'd get my money's worth.

Well, 16 months later, I haven't driven to work since! Over 220 workdays (I work 4-day weeks to reduce commuting) in a row, through rain, sleet, and snow.

Since then, I'm averaging about 2 months per tank of gas in my vehicles. They're all getting annual oil changes now instead of 5000 mile oil changes. Tire and other maintenance has been virtually non existent.

----

Bonus: As an experiment, I used the hypermiling techniques I read here in my racecar heading to the track. It's a heavily modified (for racing) 1990 Mazda Miata on super grippy (aka very very not LRR) tires and much of the weight stripped out.

On the highway to the track, 65 miles of smooth sailing with few stops and a 60mph average, I pulled off 38mpg.

A full day of on-track racing at full speed returned me roughly 9mpg.

And hypermiling on the ride home - which is more downhill than the ride out - gave me a satisfactory 42mpg!

Fun times