View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 08:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Wonderboy
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
I've been dealing with this dilemma for myself as well. Ben mentioned SRI's which are completely useless if you are really concerned about being socially responsible - many mutual funds' ideas of socially responsible mean excluding alcohol, tobacco, and gambling. Although there are a fair share of dirty businesses involved with the aforementioned, I'd much rather invest in any of them than Monsanto - AWFUL company btw. Dirt on that is easy to find. I've found that if you really want to invest in a mutual fund or a Roth IRA, its flat out impossible to find one that is actually socially responsible. The best thing you can do short of managing all of your stocks (which I've chosen to end up doing soon) is to find the lesser of all evils, pick your poison and as they say "ride the wave in, and clean the beach later." If you are going to be using that money to do socially responsible things; things to help people, I feel that's much better than just sitting on a mutual fund and sucking it dry by using it for some food and a condo for your retirement.