View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 05:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Have your machinist check the cylinder bores for excess taper if there is any ridge you can feel at the top of each cylinder.

If you replace the rings and the cylinder bores have too much taper the new rings will break and you will be doing the same job twice.

The old rings wear as the taper is created. The new rings will not have the wear pattern and will be jammed against the ridge just below the top of each cylinder bore.

If the machinist thinks the taper is excessive, I would highly recommend having the block bored and new pistons and rings installed.

I would not do hone a re ring jobs in my shop. Had a piston that had been in an engine that was honed and re ringed and when the rings broke, it burned a part of the side of the piston away.

If you want to be cheap then have the ridge removed (at the top of each cylinder) and check your ring end gap using the old rings and pistons. If it is within specs, you should be OK.

I just could not afford to take the chance with a customers car. If the ridge was very slight or non existent I would just leave the pistons and rings alone. If the engine was using a significant amount of oil then we bored the cylinders and used new pistons and rings that were oversized to match the new bore diameter.

regards
Mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Wonderboy (09-30-2009)