View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
basjoos
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
I have a false windshield for my car, but it is currently not mounted on it. I plan to remount it once I replace the clear vinyl with Lexan and make a few other changes to it. The clear vinyl had less than optimal visibility when viewed through at an angle, which the Lexan does not at the angles I will be using. The false windshield caused a noticable reduction in drag and eliminated the A-pillar vortexes visible on the side glass when driving through rain. I had Rain Magic (a Rain-X type product compatible with plastic glazings used by motorcylists) on the false windshield and as long as I was moving at least 35mph, very little of the rain impacted on the windshield and what was already on it got blown off. The main problems I had was with it fogging up on the inside when driving through heavy rain in cold temps as water that got past the front seal evaporated off the warm hood and condensed on the inside of the false windshield. Mine is hinged at the front, held down by 3 screws on the roof over the windshield and by 2 small locator pegs fitting in holes in the hood near the base of the windshield. When I needed to pop the hood, I just removed the 3 screws on the roof and the whole false windshield slid up over the roof as I raised the hood. Another effect of having the false windshield mounted is that I lost all ram air pressure to the air vents, so I had to run the vent fan whenever I wanted any intake air.

In its new incarnation, the false windhield will be Lexan, have better front and side seals to keep rainwater from getting under the windshield. Also a windshield wiper parked in a vertical fairing for minimum drag (to satisfy any legal requirements for wipers). Also am considering mounting some type of small blower/heater to clear any inside fogging.