View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 12:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Christopher Jordan
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '03 Chrysler Town & Country mini van all white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geebee View Post
I understand they are hand built drive trains but for those that like to tinker a $1,200 trike, a $3~500 hub motor and whatever Lithiums you need for range will halve the price with similar speeds.
Unless the road surface is good 30 mph continuously gets tiring with no suspension.
And from what I have read they would be illegal for road use in most of the US and definately so in Australia.
Sort of like history 101 In about 1998 I motorised a $995.00 S & B Venice Beach recumbent trike. About 2001 I motorised a $1495.00 TerraTrike. The E-Pod started in 2004 as an $1195. Sun EZ Tad (a heavy poorly geared recumbent). It now has a rear hub motor. It went 35 mph without the motor (looked like a cricket to me)- just mechanical changes. It was a slug most of the time. When motorised I had constant power; but was illegal in CA. Only 20 mph was allowed, so now it is geared down with governers and limiters in the 36 volt controller. Fine with me- it hauls a heavy trailer and almost climbs a wall! At 110 pounds empty it is "almost" useful anywhere. Sure needs suspension! Not so hot 4-wheeling a 3 wheeler.

The City-EL is 48 volts and goes 50 mph, so I had to register that 3-wheeler. That vehicle began in Denmark in 1988 I think and mine is a 1993. Rather interesting to have a bit of history