View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 01:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
bgd73
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
I love carbs. Even in your post it is overthinking the owner. It is more dynamical than injection never will be...cold outside? so is the fuel, and air, it is always one world. there are extreme setups. the most strange is the crabs with cooland channels running through them. ridiculous. I hit -28F below and still do not need such madness. Need heat rise? suck air from within engine bay..but always have an outside source, direct draft ..it is for electrical physics reasons.
I like warm air mix, I can't call it 50/50, it just gets some cold with the warm.
A real thing to conquer is the real time draft. It needs very strong singular fires, upgrade coil perhaps, typical tune up towards hot rod parts in the igntitions. and I found a very smart trick with an exhaust resonator, allowing catalyst hot and gentle flow for idle circuits at the same time (its in another post here, a hollowed, welded glasspack with the steel innards still inside.)
if you own other than a japanese "feedback" carb it is junk, if attmpting feedback. that would be the last generations of eco-carbs as man knows them.All the holleys and carters and bogro jets american versions are truly engineered disasters. Old webers from the 1950s design era did better with a modern choke. Don't let bad carbs ruin true thought process simply natural genius. you get good fuel at WOT? it is good for all year, just ttinker with heat reise and temps and fires. A downdraft carb is a cold cold engine.

The carb is a genius for me with a temperate range very very below zero into traffic jams in southern new england summertime slop of 100 degrees and more...and I would still go anywhere at 40+++ mpg anytime...on an original 23 year old build. I would hope hitachis on subarus aren't the only masters.