View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #53 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
"you can't tell people amidst a recession to buy a new car. But in the immediate future I definentily think we need a gas replacement that any car can be quickly setup to run. This gets us off oil."

Actually this is not correct. Done right poor people IN a recession would FLOCK to buy EV's they could not make enough to meet the demand I assure you.

Let me give you the what if.

Lets take the government incentives into the picture (I HATE THEM but they already exist so might as well use them)

$15,000 full retail price. FIRST many many people could afford this right out of the block.

I just did the math. as a promo the government will make the interest rate 0% over 60 months on an EV purchase (this is nice so far since 0 tax dollars have been spent so far) We just bailed the banks out at gun point so now the gov will make them give 0% car loans to almost anyone at gun point. Seems fair to me.

$15,000 0% interest 6% sales tax no fees. No down payment. No trade in (your gonna keep your gas car so if you have to go further than 100miles you can use that)

The monthly payment is $265

now before you say WAIT what if I don't have $265 remember your BUYING GASOLINE every week. What do YOU spend in gas each week? even if you fill up just ONCE a week with a 20gallon tank thats $50 a week or $200-$225 a month to be exact 52 weeks $2600 divide by twelve $216 a month in gas.

Now your car payment is only $49 over what you are ALREADY PAYING RIGHT NOW.

If gas were back to what it was last year buying this brand new car would actually mean you pay LESS money. IE you would be GETTING PAID to get a new car.

I know I currently spend $300 to $400 a month in gasoline (over $3500 a year in gas)

that means instantly with no trade in and NO money down I would actually be spending less money per month by buying an EV at 0% and $15,000

ie ALMOST ANYONE can afford one !!

What if the GOV chipped in with a $5,000 credit for buying an electric car?

now your monthly payment is only $176 and thats still NO money down and NO trade in.

So how much DO you spend a month in gas again?

anyone who currently BUYS the gas for their car can afford an electric car with less than or zero or a VERY TINY amount above what they are already spending right now!

Add into this the virtually ZERO maintenance involved with an EV and the fact that it should need ZERO major repairs including to the battery for over 20 years ! (average car today is kept for 9 years) yes EVEN THE BATTERY is good for 20-25 years or LONGER depending on how much of that full capacity you need. and at today's prices its only $4500 to replace the battery.

Trust me if we wholesale switch to EV they would be no where near $4500 in 20 years in fact you would probably be buying a new battery EARLY in 10 years for half that with double the range or more.

There is simply NO consumer downside to pure EV's done right.

its one of the primary reason they refuse to make them. you see over HALF of GM's profit comes from after they sell you the car. since almost all of that goes POOF well you can see why GM went to just great lengths to KILL the idea.

Then the gov also helped GM kill it with the Hummer Tax Credit because the US dollar and some of our taxes DEPEND on "gasoline"

Check out my other posts to see how I came up with $15,000 its a VERY real price. you could do that TODAY with off the shelf components if that battery pack was available. in fact you can actually BUY all of that right now EXCEPT for the battery.

your not allowed to have that battery though. GM sold the patent to texaco/chevron and off course chevron REFUSES to license it for mass EV usage.