View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Whoops
EcoModding Apprentice

Whoop's Wheels - '89 Honda Civic Wagovan
90 day: 39.09 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
For Honda owners, there is the ElectroCharger.

I just wonder about the wear and tear on the crank bearings from having power applied to the other end of the crank?
I've heard of this concept, before, except it was promoted more as a Electric Turbo Charger. The problem is that I didn't see any availability or pricing. The payment sheet allows you to be put on a waiting list, for an undisclosed period of time, for an unknown amount of money.

One primary issue with this would probably be whether you are trying to utilize something for just short term acceleration, in which case you could hit the motor hard and fast, but not for long enough to heat it up. On the other hand, you could add some suplemental torque, to assist the motor on a lower end basis.

I don't think I would want to be trying to use this to restart the motor, but it would largely depend on the size and width of the pullies and belts. As far as the crankshaft bearings are concerned, all of the engines I've worked on have the same size crankshaft bearings in the front of the bearing, as in the back, so I don't think that aspect would pose any undue or irregular problems.