View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 03:44 PM   #233 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Hi,

I will add some more pictures -- I had it in for service, so I have to retape the rear wheel skirts. I do need to update my avatar anyway.

I like the new aluminum video camera shrouds a lot better, too. I need to do some serious tape goop cleanup -- I'll try WD-40?

The idea behind the zigzag tape is like a linear golf ball dimple -- it helps maintain the slip layer. I cannot quanitfiy its affect, but it does seem to help a bit. Actually the bit at the top of the windshield was the most helpful, I think.

I have small Kammback panels installed already. I think my next step is to work on the underside of the car. It is pretty good right behind the front bumper, but there are lots of issues under there. And I think a gearing change (final drive) would be the best thing I could do now -- the 100K warranty is almost done (I just past 90K), and I'm waiting until that expires before I do any mechanical mods.
Neil, I was wondering when that P.M. reply was going to arrive.

As far as maintaining the slip layer, You should already have attached flow all around. ( Remember those sharp corners in my much hated 'Cd and blunt front ends' thread ? )
When I tuft tested my Civic, I was shocked to find that the 'rain gutters' on the sides of the windshield did not channel the air in any way what-so-ever. The air just slipped right over them - and they stick up around 1/8 " or more !

Do golf ball dimples work on cars ? Everyone says no, but I wonder why it is that some car makers have dimples on the underside of their cars. The Lexus LS-400 / 430 is a famous example. Lexus used this 'gimmic' in their commercials to doop the public into believing that the dimples really work.
Strange thing though - a while back, I took a peek under a VW Jetta in a used car parking lot ( An excellent research method BTW )
I was surprised to see .... dimpled belly covers ( approx. 1" diameter )
Why would VW go through all of the trouble to add these ? Added rigidity ? Looking at the design, I would think that a corrugated design would have been more effective if that were the case. Perhaps it was done for kicks and giggles.

Whoa ... back on topic.
So, how much of an improvement have you seen with the paddle style mirrors off the car ?