View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
jwxr7
EcoModding Apprentice

the metro experience (retired) - '94 geo metro 4 dr HB
90 day: 66.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trudder View Post
I have been looking into the Enphase set up for a few months now. I have several used BP panels that I would like to put to use. The problem is that they are different wattages. If my understanding is correct though the Enphase micro inverters don't care what the individual panels are rated at. What I am still a little confused on is the Enphase EMU. Did you need one with your installation? Is it required?
What are the working voltages of your panels? If they are a high enough voltage individually to be compatible with one of the Enphase inverters, then It would be OK to put then in parallel as long as they are all the same voltage and the combined power is within the specs of the inverter. If they are lower voltage, It probably wouldn't be a good idea to put panels of different wattages in series to increase voltage. Mine are each 12volts and are all in series to make 48v (which my inverter likes), but are all similar wattage. The max current of my array is also within spec of my model inverter. I don't use the EMU, I rigged up a Kill-A-Watt to keep track of power production. Check this thread out for more info on my set-up. my diy pv set-up - EcoRenovator

Best tank= 81.23 mpg on 07-01-2008
Longest range= 791 miles on 9.74 gallons