View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #42 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I don't have quite the confidence Bob does.

If a truck has to pull and haul it can only go so small-engined and light weight.

A stout CVT or trans with many gears would help the little engine cope but still a person should resign themselves to Microbus-like performance with load.

A little engine working hard still needs an adequate radiator. I suspect we won't see any pickup 1/2 radiators.
You don't actually need a radiator to run a car or a truck, some designs run radiator fluid through extended lines against the pickup bed or along the body sections, you can cool a vehicle this way so long as you have enough surface area thus elimating the radiator and making your hood, your bed, your fuel tank whatever into a heat sync.

The main reasons against doing this is that crud can adversely affect cooling, repairs are difficult to say the least and the likelyhood of failure is increased and hot body sections are dangerous.

But at least there IS a way to delete your radiator and the required air flow over it if you are hardcore enough.

You could also use a fin based radiator under the vehicle away from prying hands as cooling.

Think outside the box

Also I would love it if regular vehicles had 6+ gears in a manual, I doubt the cars following it would but I would have a lot of fun driving something like that.