View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 09:56 PM   #43 (permalink)
itsmedc
EcoModding Lurker

Mirrors

Looking at how they changed the way the mirrors mount on the volt from the show car to the production car reminded me of some of the discussions about how, removing the mirrors on the Chevy Caprice from 1991 would make the aerodyamics worse. GM had mounted the mirrors in the "pocket" of the front door window (were there used to be vent windows back in the 60's and 70's) for years; and still do on most of their cars today. HOWEVER, on the 91 Caprice they used a little pedestal mount down on the shoulder of the door.
So maybe removing the mirrors on those big rounded Caprice's would actually make the aero worse... or maybe what some people were replacing them with made it worse.
Apparently the Caprice could have used the squared rearend of the earlier models though; that might have improved the land barge aero even more.

Now if I could just get one of those Freightliner Cascadia “Innovation Truck” camera wings for my 72 pickup; I know to try attaching them at the door shoulder instead of trying to replace my vent windows with aero mirrors.

Last edited by itsmedc; 10-04-2009 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: other thoughts