View Single Post
Old 10-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
wagonman76
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
EOC is probably illegal because the average driver would probably screw it up. Don't realize the power steering and brakes are gone until they try to use them (and have likely never tried using unpowered brakes and steering before). Or turn the key too far back and lock the steering wheel. Just like most laws that are designed to protect ourselves from ourselves.

Also some cars won't do it (my van is designed to only restart in Park, it won't restart in Neutral).

Long before trying to save fuel, I commonly use neutral for steep downhills and slippery intersections in the winter. Back when more people paid attention to their driving, it was a more of a common thing. Taking the engine braking out of the equation gives a lot more control. They can write me up if they want, I'd rather not do a 180 on a steep slippery hill.

Also at a light you might be able to get away under a controlled number of conditions. Being you are the first one there, AND nobody is coming in the cross direction. I'd rather be rearended than t-boned.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver