View Single Post
Old 10-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec-e View Post
I found a picture of an f-18 with aerodynamic test equipment on board. They had a load of nozzles fitted to places they wanted to study and pumped a liquid through them that stained the body, revealing the airflow. Here's a link to the picture:http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/Gallery/Pho...8-0212-002.jpg
I found it elsewhere in the nasa site with a description but can't find it for now.

ollie
I saw a device that ecomodders were using back in the '70s that consisted of a funnel pointed into the wind. The funnel was then connected to a length of clear tubing filled with colored fluid. As the car got up to speed, the fluid was pushed out of the tube on the area needing to be tested. There is a certain name for the instrument, but I cant think of it now.
It produced the exact same results as those shown in the F-18 image.

The magazine that had this article on ecomodding was published around 1978, and I have long since forgotten the name of it. It was devoted mainly to hot rods - in fact the car that tey were ecomodding was a '69 Camaro.
( Imagine that ! )
They added a large air dam to the front of the car and did coast down testing as well.
P.M. me if anyone recognizes the magazine I am talking about.

Sorry for the hijack - back on topic please ( P.M. me instead please )