View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 12:39 AM   #55 (permalink)
Jammer
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Angry Just the Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lusth View Post
The original post quotes an article that quotes a regulatory filing. Do y'all know what a regulatory filing is? Ever read one? It's the document that says, if you invest in us, here is a list of things that could go wrong. To take that as a basis for saying the volt won't be built is ludicrous.

Get your grundies out of the bunches they are in - sheesh!
lusth: Wow you sure put me on the spot with that one. Personally I like you and I feel you have a good head on you shoulders, but on this topic we bump heads. I do not mean to offend you personally, just you interpretations, alright?

So you say it's a report about what could go wrong. So what? For an analogy, lets take the big friendly Drug Companies that must tell us all of the worse side-effects of taking said drug. If a drug is advertised on TV and they have to report all of the negative disclaimers and I hear that one of them is that the drug may not be "commercially viable" to produce, then I take that to mean they may not ever make the drug from the get-go. After all, we are speaking of Businesses not Charity. How else would anyone take it? I admit it could be an empty threat, a method of trying a ploy to milk more $$ for the R&D Department and a more cash for a new "Battery Man" replacement, but really now.

I suppose GM could build the car and take a loss, but given the fact they are now controlled by the American Government, I think a little thing like saying the car may not be "commercially viable" will be interpreted as meaning GM fears they could NEVER make a profit on said car. And they happen to have some very serious bills coming up to repay the taxpayer. So why on earth would they take such a high risk gamble given the dire straights they are now in? It's NOT LIKE THEY GOT buhoos of A+ Credit right now! They can not afford to build more and more cars and claim they sell them for less than it cost to build, but it's ok, because they make up for it in volume. Please, please.

To answer you rather emotional response about our "bunches" and our "GRUNDIES" (And I am HOLDING BACK BIG TIME HERE!) All I need to read is this from the same report you sited:

"GM has marketed the Volt as the model to turn the company around, but the report claimed it “has not yet proven to be commercially viable" Gosh, do they need another 5 or ten years now to wait for somebody else to beat them so they can just take their money and go back to the drawing board for another 5 years?? Shesh. How much more direct do they need to be. They sure were not quoted saying anything remotely like that in the years past, as we continue to wait on production cars to make it to the street.

Please please do not tell us our "grundies" need adjusting. I started this thread about something that has been strongly hinted by CAR-NEWS reporters, it was not like I was the only one to interrupt GM's words for what they ARE saying. I do NOT believe it is anywhere near overreacting, just like many Car-New's Reporters have interpreted the exact same meaning as I and others on this site have. I can read as good as the next person. GM has been quoted as saying, again: "has not yet proven to be commercially viable" Even the various article's original writers (there are others) were smart enough to understand what those words are saying. I do not think anyone neither in this thread, nor on many other sites discussing this stuff are wrong in this interpretation.

Many of us take that as maybe some kind of threat to try and milk more money out of the Government, but I am sure they would just assume they could take $$ from others as well. But they ARE saying that, just maybe the car will not make it- how does one define "viable"?

Please enlighten me on just WHY it matters that this information came from a "regulatory filing"? GM has clearly stated the car may NOT BE VIABLE! I do not care what paper or form they said this though, what matters is that GM said it.

If a car is not Viable, does that not sound the same as saying "We wont be able to sell it at a profit, even if we go ahead with current plans?

Nothing personal, but with all due respect I am old enough to know what words mean.

Last edited by Jammer; 10-07-2009 at 01:03 AM..