View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 01:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Matt Herring
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
Armycopter,

I'd highly suggest you start using different guages to monitor on your SGII because 3 of the 4 you are using really don't help you WHILE you are driving the vehicle to maximize mpg. They are really just useful for comparing tanks or seeing how much gas you have used (you can always flip back and forth from buttons to see these but don't need them on the screen all of the time as other buttons are more useful while you are driving).

Trip average speed might be a little helpful as a reminder to not drive too fast (I know a few guys that use that SGII feature) but Tank Average MPG and Gallons of Fuel Used are really not ideal for maximizing mpg WHILE you are driving...they are just part of the "game" statistics of hypermiling that you can analyze tank to tank.

I would spend some time with each SGII feature until you understand what each feature represents in your car and how that relates to efficiency in your own vehicle. On your daily commute try a new feature every few days and see which ones make the most sense to use for yourself. Personally, I like to stick with the ones that I feel are most relevant to my own mpg (which is a little different for a hybrid)...

In my Prius I use:

RPM IGN
MPG fWT then GPS

I use RPM because the Prius does not come with a factory RPM guage. I use fWT until the car reaches roughly 160 degrees F which is the point at which EV mode is available...then I switch to Xguage setting GPS which is used in combination with IGN to maximize mpg.

Best of luck with the new SGII...it's a great tool for improving mpg!