View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #45 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Perceptive poison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
defensive driving.

aircraft analogy: I'd take a rugged plane with self-sealing gas tanks (USA) over a more maneuverable and nimble plane without sealing tanks (Japan) if I were a pilot.
Of course you would - but you're less prone to have an accident in the sky in a fighter jet than you are on the road with "untrained professionals" behind the wheel.

Also, it doesn't really matter what you're flying in the sky. Impact = dead. (Obviously, there are and have been exceptions. It's a general statment.)

On the ground, there's a big difference. You won't necessarily die in any on-road impact, at any sustainable speed.

By your logic, every one on the road should be driving a freight train. When two freight trains collide, guess what happens?

Also, no one ever thinks about the fact that the smaller cars are easier to maneuver, making crash avoidance easier. If you can get away from it, you don't have to worry about how safe you are during a crash. It's not a fool proof concept, but damn, neither is driving a freight train everywhere.

Did you feel safer in the steel hulk tanks of the 60's and 70's? (I'm assuming you're that old, please don't take offense.) Keep in mind, that those "tanks", though perceived to be safer, fare no better in an offset frontal crash than new vehicles. There is crash test data all over the web, my friend. I think it's in your best interests to check some out, and "un-poison" your idea of safety.

PS - Ya know why MasterLock company did so well when they first started out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lock: About Us
Not only were these locks stronger, but they were also much heavier than other padlocks. This turned into an unforeseen advantage. The public associated added weight with added strength.

This is now referred to as the "Master Lock" strategy in marketing. It basically means that if we can't/don't want to make it the way the competitors do, we'll change people's perception of the competitor's product in our favor.

It seems to be working on you.