View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
theycallmeebryan
Master EcoModder

2003 Ninja EX250 - '03 Kawasaki Ninja EX250
90 day: 78.57 mpg (US)

Saturn - '99 Saturn SL1 Base
90 day: 47.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Atomic Ass View Post
So I've finally put my Ninja 250 back into service after nearly 3 years of downtime. Don't ask.

Anyway, before I put it up, I had added K&N pods, gone with 108 mains and 1 shim under the needle. Stock with the airbox is 105, no shim.

I've been accelerating with wide throttle openings between 3-4K, and today I took out the shims. Power below the point the main jet opens seems a little reduced, the engine falls off much faster when dropping the throttle, letting the clutch out while revving needs to be done a little more carefully to avoid stalling the engine and the engine still cruises fine, no hiccuping.

I don't have any method of measuring my air/fuel ratio, so I'd like to know from those who tune carbs if the above sounds like its running lean enough to cause damage.
Tell tale sign is to go a little ways from your house, get into 4th gear, and hold you throttle at a position where the jet in question has the most influence. Hold it there for 5-10 seconds and then immediately kill the engine. Pull the plugs and see if they show lean or rich signs.

What you are looking for is the BASE RING.... that is the ring on the bottom of the plug that the ground strap (the arm) is welded/soldered to. What you want to look for is a full turn of darkness all the way around the outside of that ring. If its not all the way around, the bike is lean.

If you have to use your brakes, you are driving too fast!

My 101.5 MPG 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Crude Oil Price Today

Last edited by theycallmeebryan; 10-09-2009 at 02:09 PM..