View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
davyboy
EcoModding Lurker

Daily Driver - '00 Ford Focus ZTS
90 day: 27.5 mpg (US)
Engine Mods Question

Okay first off I drive a 1994 GMC Yukon 5.7L
Its an automatic, with currently no modifications, although I was wondering if anyone has a similar engine or knows of experiences with a few mods that I'm wondering about putting on my truck. I just want opinions on each, do you think they will aid in mpg, or some just in power?

The mods consist of the following:
- Cold Air Intake (is my believe that by increasing the quantity of air available to engine and lowering its temperature it makes the engine breath easier and can provide a fuel mileage of 1-2mpg benefit)
- Replace Intake Manifold (have a few friends that swear that if you are getting a better intake you should get a better intake manifold, that it will also increase mpg and power, personally I have no idea, what do you guys think?)
- Throttle Body Spacer (everything I read is split 50/50, but I have a good buddy that swears by them, anyone with a yukon try one?)

- Headers (I'm an engineering designer student, and these make a lot of sense, reducing restriction and back pressure should help mpg and power)
- Straight-Piping (basically reducing the bends and curves as well as lowering the distance from the engine to the end of the exhaust should also help mpg and power)(will also have a pipe coming from each header rather than combining them into one exhaust)
- Glass-Packs (as a form of muffler, I believe that they are the least restrictive therefore should be the most efficient for fuel economy)

Above are the ones that I am looking into immediately, in the groups that I would be purchasing and installing them.