View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 04:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
blueflame
Master EcoModder

I'm no expert but I've been recently buggering around with modified intake and carbs on 2 stroke scooters. The bigger main jet/pod mantra is oftern bandied around as a good thing, but for cruising I think not.

I have found results confusing, to say the least. Try sliding a sock over the pod, try different thicknesses of fabric, 2 socks, thinner socks. This will restrict air flow AND improve filtration. Try no pod or filter, this will increase airflow.

Going to 108 is not much of a jump. Often I go from 65 to 80 on a 50cc. (I have one bike with a 120!)

My feelings are that increasing fuel and air flow create starting and running issues including bogging at low revs. Done right, top end is improved, but I fear that all else suffers. If you cruise at small throttle 90% of the time, you may piss around for ages with no gains whatsoever. Many modified scooters get sold by owners who have bought all these go fast bits, but never got the machine to run right.

I race around on my 50cc, and am often at a speed, much higher than previously attainable.

My guess is that with a thin sock or 2 things will improve for general cruising and top output may see gains too. Duct tape to cover some of the pod, stays on for months too, and you can fine tune your air intake by adding/subtracting strips of duct tape.

Then of course there is the intergrating of other important factors like intake manifold exhaust valves timing plug heat range....however that all said, a pod and main jet up size is a good cheap power upgrade only if you ride to the tuned settings. Namely, increased top end.

If you cruise at small throttle 90% of the time..... you keep pulling the carby off, chop needle heights and jets and socks for ages and ages with little gains..... Sock it to them and see what happens, thats what I've just done and come away thinking too much air isnt always good unless you go a whopper main jet and ride flat out always.

Last edited by blueflame; 10-10-2009 at 08:15 AM..