View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 08:29 AM   #77 (permalink)
janvos39
EcoModding Apprentice

jvsgears - '14 Skoda Octavia
Team m8
90 day: 52.47 mpg (US)
The flowmeter for measuring the fuel flow has arrived and is in the picture below. Two connections of 1/8 G and tubular ends are made to accommodate the meter inbetween the fuel pump and the carburettor.

The read out box is attached to the steering bar. A value of the fuel flow is given each second. Also the flow measurement can be accumulated over a periode that can be started and stopped by push buttons.

The system is working but not ideal yet.Very low flows are not detected. So something has to be improved to catch that also.

Parallel to improve the flow meter I am preparing the next step which is engine size reduction. The bore will be reduced from 83 to 73 mm with the same stroke. So the engine capacity drops from 385 to 297 cc. This should reduce the fuel consumption due to lower idle use and a better BSFC at the higher mean pressure .

The picture shows the piston and cylinder of the 73 and 83 mm size.
The bolt pattern is identical.

There is a difference in weight for the piston and pin combination. This is 64 grams. I will add this weight to the pin of the 73 mm bore to keep the balancing identical.

The bore to stroke ratio becomes almost 1. Earlier in this thread we discussed the optimum value of the bore-stroke ratio for best FE.
I found a nice article on this subject from the university of Michigan.

http://journals.pepublishing.com/con...471201u6u5q51/

It looks like around 4000 rpm the bore equal to the stroke is not bad.

Below the latest results on FE with the modifications sofar on the Burgman scoot.

Last edited by janvos39; 10-24-2009 at 08:33 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to janvos39 For This Useful Post:
HHOTDI (02-13-2011)