View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 01:55 PM   #122 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
rake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
Not sure what you mean Phil. Are you saying that it is beneficial for the roof to slant at an upwards angle rather than be flat or slanted down ? Also, the rake makes the angle of the windshield even more vertical.

The radius on the edges of the Camaro on post #113 seem closer to 10.7 mm rather than 107mm, especially those shap sides !

Not trying to be 'smart', but rather I'm just too dumb to understand this stuff. It all seems to baffle me how that things seem to cotradict sometimes.

Phil : surely that was supposed to be 10 point 7 millimeters right ? 107 mm is huge !!
Cd,with the rake,the top of the roof is slanted down towards the front and air parallel to the ground is "attacking" it,right up to the point of maximum height at it's rear,after which it will separate for sure,unless the "downwind" or "leeward" portion of the roof is shaped close to what Dr.Kamm recommended,or there is something to re-attach to.----------------- Even if the area above or around the side of the windshield has just a slight radius,the air may stay attached if it's within the "wedge" of a body which is still growing in cross-sectional area.Kinda like the "Prowler" or PT Cruiser,both of which just get wider and wider the further back you go.--------------- You "penetrate" the air okay this way,but end up with a large powerful wake of dramatically low pressure which holds you back.------------- For the hot rod,the wake gives some directional stability,as the transom of a ship does,with the wake drag helping to pull the stern straight back behind the ship.----------------------- With respect to the 107mm radius,at 25mm per inch its a little over 4-inches radius.I'm pretty sure Volkswagen got way with much less on their first-gen Rabbit.---------- The Oscar Meyer Wienermobile that just got posted about has the "ideal" nose and windshield if you ignore the lower portion.